Monday, March 19, 2007

Ode To A Senior

To all you veterans of the HS marching band scene, your time is coming to an end. It's already mid-March and you'll soon be turning your heads toward college.
However, your last four years of experience should not be overlooked. Tell us what your experience has meant to you. Best/Worst stories from those days of learning drill, rehearsing tunes, pranks during band camp. Leave your legacy for the next great band student.


In hopes that your memories will only expand during college, here are some reasons to make sure you keep practicing this summer and sign up for band this next fall.

Reasons to be in College Band:
  • Instant Friends! -freshmen may worry about meeting people when they step on campus, but it doesn't need to be you. You have 150 new friends instantly.
  • Some extra cash! -it's true! Some college bands pay their band members a small amount to put in that extra time along side studying. If you plan to work anyway, why not make one source of income doing what you already love?
  • De-stresser! -When you have your nose in books all day, you wake up from your afternoon nap thinking about your next test, what could help you de-stress and relax better than playing a great piece of music? Besides, Harvard even links Music and Arts Education with improved student performance, so replace that nap with your band class.
MYTH: College bands practice more that HS bands. It can be hard to imagine fitting all those classes, studying, band class and practice time into your schedule. But when you think about how much practicing you are doing in HS, you are better prepared than you think. Most college bands practice fewer hours than High School bands.

Tell us about your experiences in college band.
Are you one of those lucky paid college band students?
How many hours does your college or HS band practice a week?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My college band sure doesn't get paid! I wish!

Being in the band made things so much easier for me starting out in college. To begin with, I got to move into my dorm before everyone else. On move in day there isn't even really room to walk down a hall, let alone drag all your stuff in. I got to move in almost two weeks early because I was in the band. It made things NICE and EASY!!!

Also, it was like I had an instant family to help me out as well. My section leader was there to help me find my way around so I didn't look like a moron with a map on my first class day. Plus, there were many older mused majors to let me know what to expect and help me through my first classes.

All this and it was just one year!!

Anonymous said...

I marched in my college band from 1977-1981. It was Ferris State College back then-it is now a University. I was in the snare line for two years and drum major for two years. We practiced every day from 3-5 and Saturdays before games. Our practice field was almost a mile from the band hall so we MARCHED every day to practice. We would use that time to practice our technique (sort of a modified corps/big ten style) and play through songs. No time was wasted. One of my most vivid memories was the snow game. It snowed so hard during the first half that the field was solid white. One of our tuba players grabbed a shovel and pushed it from the front to the back to make a 50 yard line. His direction was a bit of and he curved towards the 40! Was an unusual looking drill (it didn't matter - the stands were almost empty anyway). We did not have a music program so all band members were in for the love of it. We took trips to away games and the Silver Dome to play for a Lions game. Hope you enjoyed my story.